Auklet IV

The following is part of a collaborative project by Richard Myers, Ethan Love, Zachary Guenther, and Matthew Grotzke. Each section is authored by a separate person covering a different aspect of the build. We all contributed equally in our own way to make this project a success.

Cutting Molds on the band-saw.

Materials Cost for the Build

By Matthew Grotzke

The Auklet is a 7’2” glued lapstrake 4 millimeter plywood boat. Rick Myers had originally purchased the plans and had asked Zach Guenther, Ethan Love and I to collaborate on and help with this project. We started in early January and worked out individual responsibilities for each member of the group. Rick as overseer of the project, Ethan heading up the scheduling of times to meet and work on the boat, Zach was in charge of keeping time and estimated hours and I was in charge of material pricing, inventory, projecting estimates on the project. Along with tracking spending with expense reports. I have done this with construction jobs but was not entirely sure how things would go considering that this was my first time expensing a boat project. Generally, there is a lot more waste with a boat project and I was curious how that would effect the overall cost. A few of the saving graces of this project were that it was a pretty simple build and the plans were very detailed. Everything from the exact measurement of construction lumber to create the bench, to actual mold outlines in full size were all very helpful. The crew was also a large factor in the success of this project. All the guys working on the “Chocolate” Aucklet were both very capable and very conscientious when laying out, cutting, and shaping each individual piece of this boat. Something that I have come to appreciate from my time at the school is that it is very easy to make a mistake in woodworking if you aren’t focused on what you are doing. I am very happy to be working with people that care about doing quality work.  

Gluing up the Hog

              Rick and I both went to various hardware stores, lumber yards, and  marine systems outlets to put together and create a pricing list  for starting  the project; Eden Saw  being the main outlet, considering that it supplied both hardwoods and marine grade plywood. We also ordered construction grade materials, painters plastic  and a few  other small purchases from Carls hardware.  We also  had to find an outlet for  West Systems Epoxy Products. We found these at  Admiral  Ship Supply. It was definitely advantageous  to this project to be living in Port Townsend  where all these businesses are in the same area.

We ended up being slightly under budget for a few reasons. Some of the plywood we needed was damaged around the corner along with some of the hardwood was not in pristine condition. We asked about a discount considering that we weren’t going to need certain portions of the wood. Also, we applied our student discount and got the lumber for cheaper than we had originally estimated.

 We still have a few big ticket items that we will be  buying to finish the Aucklet, such as the sail. We have price the materials out at $115 with our team completing the work. If we were to outsource this work to a sail maker it would be in the ballpark of $550. Sean Rankin has offered to help us out by letting us use his facilities to sew the Aucklets sail ourselves, which will help break this cost down.  This has been a great project to work on and I am looking forward to seeing the boat finished. I am also interested to see what the potential profit margins would be from a business point of view.

Finished setting up the strong back in 1 Day!

myers.richard.lee@gmail.com

Leave a Reply Text

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *